Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The Perfect Summer Game Pt. 1

In the midwest it is 91°F with 55% humidity, so it "feels like 100°F." On a day like today my skin is baking after a walk from my house to my car, and by the time I get home I need to take another shower. On a slightly cooler day I'd be by the pool. So I'd say it feels like a good day to stay inside and play video games. But on such a day I can't just pick up any game. All games I happen to be currently playing get put off because all that is on my mind is summer. I have games I play on rainy days, games I play on holidays, and games I play when I'm sick. Why not pick the perfect summer game?

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of summer is heat. The sun beating down. Hot deserts. Glancing at my game collection I see two games that fit the hot desert mold perfectly: Road Runner's Death Valley Rally and Desert Demolition Starring Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote. Two licensed games based on Chuck Jones' most well-known duo. Death Valley Rally is a platformer for the Super Nintendo. You play as the Road Runner and your goal is to get to the end of each level before Wile E. Coyote stops you. At first he chases you on foot and you quickly escape him because Road Runner can run as fast as Sonic. To keep things balanced there is a speed meter that quickly depletes, and you can refill it by eating bird seed. As the game progresses the Coyote uses ridiculous Acme products to thwart you. At the end of each level you see the Coyote humorously defeat himself. At the end of each area you have to fight him. The levels usually allow for you to either speed through them or take your time platforming your way to the end. If you run, you risk colliding into Wile E. Coyote or random obstacles. If you go the slow and steady route you have to contend with the clock. There's not much more to it than that. Road Runner's Death Valley Rally is a simple but fun game.