Tuesday, August 18, 2015

GAME FOR YOUR LIFE!


Have you ever been told that video games are unhealthy? Have you tried working out but lost the motivation weeks later? I know I have. My girlfriend is working on a project to show how the Wii Balance Board can be used to help her patients improve their balance in a more fun and interactive way. It got me thinking about other ways video games could be used to improve one's health. I decided to push myself to get back in shape using only video games. "But how, Aaron?!" Over the course of the next month I plan on spending thirty minutes a day playing physically demanding video games such as Dance Dance Revolution, Just Dance, Wii Fit, and any other game I can turn into a physical exercise.

I will supplement these with Pokémon Heartgold. The game comes with a Pokéwalker peripheral that trades steps for in-game currency. Right now I'm going to aim for 5,000 steps a day, but it's been a while since I used it so that's just a rough average for now.

I believe that by adding the fun challenge of a video game to exercise I will be more motivated to keep going. I will also impose mini-goals on myself like unlocking every song in a game, beating Pokémon Heartgold, and finding the most unlikely video game to be a good work out (so far I can tell you that Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer works great). I'm also hoping that more people will be motivated to try the GAME FOR YOUR LIFE! workout.
Widget is loading comments...