Sunday, August 16, 2015

More Sega

Blaugust Day 15

Yesterday I wrote about trying some Sega Genesis games for the first time. Today I scrolled through the Sonic Collection looking for more unplayed games and found one I've never heard of listed as Dr. Robotnik's M.B.M. It was labeled as a puzzle game. Awesome! I was hoping there would be another one of those. I started it up and saw that its name is actually Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. After pressing start there was a brief conversation with some robot boss. I'm not sure if he's from any of the Sonic the Hedgehog games or not. I'm also not sure if he's speaking in puns or if there are a lot of typos. Either way, the text scrolled by faster than I could read it. Next I began the battle...hrmm, I swear I've played this game.


My first thought was "this is Puyo Pop!" Puyo Pop was the only GBA puzzle game I owned. It's a falling block game where you try to match up colors. There are two colors in each bar and you must match four blocks to make them disappear. Unlike Columns where I was fighting against the game design, in Puyo Pop you fight against each enemy and progress up the food chain Mortal Kombat style. For every match you get, a few colorless blocks get sent over to your opponent, and vice versa. The competition starts out simple and each new foe has their own technique. The formula used in the GBA game is identical in this Genesis game. Puyo Pop was one game in a series called Puyo Puyo. It turns out that Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is a reskin of the original Japanese Puyo Puyo game. There's also a Super Nintendo version reskinned to suit its console: Kirby's Avalanche. I'd like to pick it up. I love the idea of keeping a game's gameplay but applying a new story to it. I'm definitely glad I found Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.
Widget is loading comments...